Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ask the Internet: Fast Breakfast for Students?

This week’s question comes from a student. Man, haven't we all been here?

Q: One thing I have always struggled with is having a good breakfast, especially on the go. I'm a college senior (class of 2010!) and my time is very limited in the mornings (probably because I get up at the latest I can). I have come to hate buying breakfast from the food carts or spending money (college/intern=broke) and would like to know any suggestions for any nutritious (and quick) meals in the morning. I have long commutes to Manhattan and usually have to eat on the go. Normally I try to eat fruit and a yogurt, or some sort of "cereal bar."

Anyway hope you can help with some suggestions!

A: Good question, sweet reader. You’re definitely moving in the right direction with fruit; portable, cheap, and healthy, it beats the everloving crud out of Go-gurt and its rainbow-colored kin. If you can pack a big ol’ fruit salad, it would provide a little variety, too. Sprinkle nuts on it for kicks.

Since you’re eating on the subway, I assume oatmeal and/or cereal are poor options. Do you mind baking? If you can set aside an hour or two every other week, you can do granola bars, muffins, or banana bread. It’d set you up for the whole month, and each piece will probably run you between $0.15 and $0.35. These Cranberry Zinger Muffins from Cooking with Amy are wonderful, and I remember digging Everybody Likes Sandwiches version of Chai-spiced Apple Oatmeal Bread very much.

Readers, beyond that, I throw the question to you. What are your favorite portable breakfasts? How do you eat on the go?

Want to ask the interweb a question? Post one in the comment section, or write to Cheaphealthygood@gmail.com. Then, tune in next Tuesday for an answer/several answers from the good people of the World Wide Net.

No comments:

Post a Comment