Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ask the Internet: Hominy Recipes?

Today’s question was posed by a reader a few months ago. I’m paraphrasing here:

Q: What can you do with hominy? Are there any good recipes? What about its nutrition?

A: Man, good question. Here’s what I know, and it ain’t much: hominy is a corn product that comes in white and yellow varieties. It’s fairly high in fiber, and gives you a lot of food for comparatively few calories. In my area (Brooklyn), it’s canned, relatively cheap, and can be found in the Latin section of the supermarket.

I bought hominy for the first time a few months ago, to make Winter Vegetable Chili. It didn’t add much flavor, but it melded seamlessly with the spices and thickened the dish well. Beyond that, I know it’s commonly used in pozole, a delicious Mexican stew. Beyond beyond that, I’m stumped.

Readers, how do you use hominy? Do tell.

Want to ask the interweb a question? Post one in the comment section, or write to Cheaphealthygood@gmail.com. Then, tune in next Tuesday for an answer/several answers from the good people of the World Wide Net.

No comments:

Post a Comment